Posted in Birth Stories, Blog, Featured, Mother, Posts for mommies-to-be, Rebecca, Recovering from childbirth, Still pregnant?

My story: chapter 7

Why does it always seem to happen at 3am? I suppose it’s better to have your water break at home at 3 am than 9am and be at the grocery store. Yikes.

I woke up and thought I’d peed the bed. Yes, you are free to laugh. I got up and went to the bathroom. Weird. Then I put another pair of undies on. By the time I walked back to bed, they were wet already. As I walked, I felt short gushes come out. I’m half awake, half asleep here though….not much analyzing going on. Thought I just peed again. LOL. After 2 more dry pairs of underwear and lots of gushing later, I realized my water was slowly leaking. It had broke while I was asleep and that’s why the bed was wet.

I stood there in the dark for a minute trying to come to my senses. Going into labor wasn’t really on my radar yet. This was 12 days early. Was this my water breaking for real? Am I dreaming? What did I have for dinner last night? I did have a crib mattress, where would the baby sleep? Wait, I had plans today. What about going to see my brother? What do I do now?

All of a sudden I got really excited. The baby was coming!!! And not in 3 weeks…..but SOON. I woke my husband up and said, “honey, my water just broke, we’re gonna have a baby. What do I do now?” Duh, woman. “Call your midwife honey”, he said. “oh, and go back to bed.”

That’s it? Call the midwife and go back to bed? How on earth could I sleep now? ok fine. I paged the midwife and she said, “Go back to bed, try and rest, call me in the morning.” Ok fine. Back to bed. I REALLY REALLY tried to sleep. I heard that a zillion times. You never know how long you will be in labor. Get your rest when you can. So I put 3 towels on the bed and laid back down. Contractions started coming but they were bearable.

I drifted in and out of sleep. Mostly, I laid there and thought about meeting my son. What would his first cry sound like? Who would he look like? Would he have blonde fuzzy hair or would it be dark? Would I be a good Mom? Who could I borrow a crib mattress from?

Finally at 7am, I got out of bed. I couldn’t wait any longer. I opened the door to my the guest room where my mom was sleeping. I woke her up and said, “Mom, I’m sorry. We can’t go see Ron today. (my brother) But, WE’RE GONNA HAVE A BABY INSTEAD. Is that OK?” Lol.

She was so excited. What weird timing that this would happen the day she was staying over. Good thing she was there too. My husband had like 5 deadlines for work projects that day. And we made a huge long list of last minute things to do, like pack our bags, get snacks, etc. I’m so happy my Mom was there for me that day. She was such a help, timing contractions and offering sweet words of encouragement. “You can do it baby.” “Why don’t you lay down for a while?” “Can I get you anything?” Love you Mom!

I labored all day pretty easily. Contractions were bearable. They got closer together but not stronger. This was doable, I thought. I called my friend who was also expecting a baby and asked to borrow her crib mattress. She wasn’t do for another couple months and I knew our mattress would be there the next week. She said sure and headed to our house.

*still laboring* My friend arrived and we got the mattress set up. Well now what? It was lunch time and I was hungry. I had already been eating a lot but was still starving. Cherries were in season and I couldn’t get enough of them. I know this is going to sound insane but I was craving Dick’s cheeseburgers. So that’s what we did. We piled in the car and headed to Dicks. Yes, I was having strong contractions and in the middle of labor but it was a beautiful sunny day and I wanted to get out of the house. We got our food and headed home.

After hanging out for a few hours, my friend headed home. It was mid-afternoon now and my Mom was getting anxious that I was up walking around everywhere. She forced me to lay on the couch so she could time some contractions. Of course, I didn’t want to lay down but silently complied. My hubby was still running around getting things done, purchasing snacks for the birth center and 50 vitamin waters. 🙂

My contractions grew stronger as we started timing them. We checked in with the midwife and after several hours agreed to meet her at the birth center at 7pm. I had finally gotten to the 4-1-1. I still felt great. I bounced on the ball and did lunges. Between contractions we were laughing and telling stories.

Alright, we were finally ready to head out. My mom stayed at our house and said she’d be just a phone call away if we needed her. I hadn’t planned on her being at the birth center with us so I didn’t feel comfortable inviting her. Looking back, I wish I would have asked her to come.

I clearly remember the ride over to Kirkland. We were crossing 520. The sun was setting and I could see Mt Rainier perfectly. My husband and I chatted about nice wheels we saw on familiar Audis we passed (We’re audi owners and like to talk about cars.) Then a contraction would hit and I’d be howling. It would be done and we’d be back to talking about wheels.

We got to the birth center and brought our stuff in. The midwives were preparing the room and filling the tub for me. Everyone was excited. The sun was peeking in the windows as it finally set on the horizon. Candles were lit and the atmosphere was already very relaxing. The midwives asked if I wanted to be “checked” to see how far dilated I was. YES! I couldn’t wait to find out.

I remembered Penny Simkin’s yellow brick road to child birth and I prayed to God I was at least past 3cm. I was scared of getting stuck at 3 or 5cm as I’d heard of this happening often. So the midwives checked me and said, “Wow. You are already at 7cm!!!! That is incredible.” oh yeah. I was super excited. That was unbelieveable news. I had already passed the hard parts where sometimes labor can stall for a long time.

I decided to get in the tub. I was really looking forward to this since I’d heard it can be very helpful with pain relief. I also wanted a water birth. OOOOHHHHH, the tub felt SO wonderful. It really did take the edge off the pain.

the 15th hour

My husband was perched on a stool next to the tub holding my vitamin water with a straw. He forced me to keep drinking. What a good man! We chatted with the midwife. Contractions felt stronger but still bearable….not terrible at all. I made jokes in between contractions. Then when they hit, I focused on breathing and controlling my thoughts.

I was super confident things were going great. They seemed to think so too. We joked that I’d probably have this baby and be home by midnight. Oh, how I longed for that to be true!!! That just sounded wonderful.

They checked me again after a while and I had progressed to 9cm. Things started to feel more intense for sure. I threw up a few times. I stopped making jokes. I felt more serious about what was going on. (and no, I actually never threw up those cheeseburgers. I know you are all wondering about that.) haha….

Finally I had reached 9.5 cm. I was ALMOST there. I could see the end in sight. I was still feeling great. By great I mean that I felt I had energy, the pain was bearable, and I still felt happy and confident that things were going well, that is besides throwing up every few minutes. Yuk.

So I’m still in the tub at this point, and the midwife says, “If you start feeling like you want to push, go ahead.” I remember thinking that this was too soon. Aren’t you just supposed to push after you reach 10 cm? and fully dilated? Ummmm, yeah. But I wasn’t quite thinking straight, so I started pushing with each contraction. Not knowing what the “urge to push” was supposed to feel like, I just did it because I was excited to get things over with…and she gave me permission.

Can you say “Oops”?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *